CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Getting the Word Out

Social Networking is a huge part of participatory culture especially when it comes to my contribution. Participatory Culture is when you are not only obtaining information but also contributing information to others. So the first thing I think of when I hear that definition is Facebook. Though it is mostly for me to talk with my old high school friends about their lives, I have also found it very useful for school work and providing me information on what is going on in the world. When someone needs information for an assignment I am able to provide it for them through the site. During the election I was very involved with keeping up with the news from Barack Obama's Campaign. On the Site I was able to join his fan page and get updates on his campaign, along with information on how I could help him to get his information across. So then I would go along and tell all my American friends that he was having a rally in there state or explain what exactly his platform stood for.

There are many different ways people can be involved in participatory culture. Henry Jenkins a Professor at MIT, believes that with the growth of technology the average person is now able to become involved in the new phenomena. These new forms of convergence adds to Marshall McLuhan's idea of a global village. This is becuase now you able to get media and information from places all over the world. Right now I am partaking in this new movement of providing information to others by writing this blog. Facebook was more a personal way of conveying my message, but since I have started to write a blog I am now a global participant. I am proud to be part of this new culture, because now I'm giving back to the internet society for all the times I have used the information from it. I am continuing the cycle of participatory culture.

Source:

Jenkins, Henry. "Convergence? I Diverge." June 2001. MIT. 25 Nov. 2008 .

0 comments: